Plumbers NZ is New Zealand's largest online plumbing, gas and drainage resource. Plumbing exam help, plumbing news, directory and free quotes.

Author Topic: Mians Cylinder and Wet back fire  (Read 1897 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jaffadutch

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Im new @ Plumbers NZ!
Mians Cylinder and Wet back fire
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:36:55 PM »
Hello all,

My question is -

I have a mains cylinder and I am just about to have a new fire installed with a wetback.
My cylinder does not have a heat exchanger built in and for a while I wont be in a position to have the cylinder swapped.

So I have an idea that may be fruitless but I would like to know one way or the other,

I work with a four plumbers and an engineering dept.

I want to know if I can build a external heat exchanger and fit to my cylinder until I can afford to have my already but brand new cylinder replaced (kicking myself for such short sight)

My current cylinder as 2 x  inlet and outlet fittings, one side 120 deg  from the other is blanked off.

I want to know if there would be any reason for not being able to basically run and mains pressure coil between these two points and then build a low pressure box around this coil for connection to my wetback?

The box would be double skinned with expanding foam insulation between the layers.

My cylinder is under the house and so I would have to have a pump fitted for circulation for the wetback.

If this is possible would I have a problem having it signed off by an inspector?

The plumber I work with said if I can build it and get the local council to ok it he would fit it and do all required for the wetback etc

Your thoughts would be great, plus may save my blushes should this be a bullshit idea and finding out so at my local council.

Thank you all for your time




Offline integrated

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 412
  • Karma: +37/-2
Re: Mians Cylinder and Wet back fire
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »
sounds ok in theory, as long as all safety valves and devices are in place

are you SDC or ICC?

SDC will be more considered, you will have problems with ICC as they are more backwards thinking and will make you prove compliance to the n'th degree

it would pay to talk to whichever council prior to consent - ask to talk to the respective team leaders

I suspect that the hoops you will have to jump through will not make the exercise worthwhile - probably just cheaper easier less to worry about to just lump the extra couple hundy for ya hot water and wait to get the appropriate hwc

The system as a whole will be more cost effective and efficient if the hwc is relocated also - nor will the councils be happy with this fact, and probably compromises safety with the wetback also - but i suspect you are aware of this

make sure you use a registered licensed plumber - there are alot around at the moment that are neither - yes i am local

Offline Jaffadutch

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Im new @ Plumbers NZ!
Re: Mians Cylinder and Wet back fire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:17:21 AM »
Thank you very much for the reply.

Luckily I live in the SDC area.

The plumbers I work with are all registered so thanks anyway,

They advised me to talk to one of the inspectors at the SDC who worked at my place a few years ago.

Again thank you for your answer


Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via twitter

Similar Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
H J Cooper Duplex Stainless Steel hot water cylinder 2304. LPSS180, Wet back???

Started by Henry37nz

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 05:57:58 PM
by Plumber
Fire Safety

Started by Edbear

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 02:07:06 PM
by Ed Smith
gas fire question from a consumer

Started by rubberducky

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 10:28:48 AM
by jd24hrs
masport gas fire question

Started by roberto

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 08:47:40 PM
by 07442
Share this topic...
In a forum
In a site/blog