Plumbers NZ is New Zealand's largest online plumbing, gas and drainage resource. Plumbing exam help, plumbing news, directory and free quotes.

Author Topic: Where do I find documentation for replacing a hot water cylinder element  (Read 3229 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jayp

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 25
  • Karma: +2/-0
Hi there,

Ive been trying to find something to go buy regarding where plumbers draw the line in terms of HWC element replacement. I know from my own experiences that other company's will just "do the re-wire" to save on time and not have to get a licensed electrician in to do it correctly. But as a plumber your not qualified to "do it".
Really its a fine line, if the element is blown then obviously it needs replacing and the HWC drained etc. But in terms of disconnection and reconnection where is the regulation for this. It must go under the radar all the time. I know some companys do have there own electrician which makes great sense but I know many dont as well.


Offline o2b007

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 77
  • Karma: +6/-0
  • time for change!!
Hi Jayp

The wiring must be done by a registered electrician. no exceptions on this one at all.
An electrician Is legally allowed to drain and refill the cylinder  as long as it does not include them disconnecting or altering any pipework.

I do have it somewhere but will have to look it up

Offline Jaxcat

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1008
  • Karma: +40/-4
We always get a sparky to come and do the disconnect and then the reconnect and we do the plumbing parts in between.  We factor this in to our job costs.  By not getting a sparky and trying to do it yourself - who are you doing the favour for?  We all moan on here about other people carrying out plumbing or gasfitting or drainlaying when they are not ticketed, well this is no different.  We can't have it all one way and then start undertaking work that another regulated trade should be doing.  If you did the reconnect for instance and something went wrong - are you jepordising the customer's insurance as the work was not carried out by a properly licensed person i.e. sparky.  Lety's leave the wiring to them and the plumbing etc to us - and just tell the customer straight that this is legally and safely the way it has to be done.  End of story.
Have you learned lessons only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you?  Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed the passage with you?  (Walt Whitman 1819-1891)  American Poet

Offline mini g

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 9
  • Karma: +1/-0
  • Im new @ Plumbers NZ!
Plumbers can change elements, and rewire back to the wall if they hold an "tradesperson electrical licence" think its a two day course at polytechs.

Offline Jaxcat

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1008
  • Karma: +40/-4
But why would you want to?  Just who are you doing the favour for?  Leave sparkying to the sparkies and plumbing the plumbers.

Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via twitter

Similar Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
Replacing HW Cylinder with Gas

Started by Wholemullet

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 05:59:02 PM
by Jaxcat
info about swapping from electric hot water cylinder to a gas hot water cylinder

Started by miz vix

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 12:19:09 PM
by Plumber
Munson rt hot water cylinder aka elephant cylinder.

Started by Enn

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2017, 10:32:46 AM
by Enn
Replacing galvanized pipe main supply and water pressure

Started by toycollector10

21 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 07:39:06 AM
by Rodza1
Share this topic...
In a forum
In a site/blog